Sunday 14 March 2010

Honey-Iced Coffee Cake

There's something about the rainy, cool weather that makes me want to bake.

Coffee Cake

I'm slowly and without any fixed pattern, working my way through an old Australian Women's Weekly Cake and Slice book. One of my favourites in my mum's cookbook collection. She was given it when I was four years old, and there is -such- a wealth of recipes in this book.
Usually I flip through the book until a recipe seems to jump out at me depending on my mood. Some are quite complicated with lots of steps and fiddly bits. Some you just throw together in a food processor. This one was one of the easier ones ;)

Coffee Cake

The classic line-up of ingredients!

Coffee Cake

I love recipes like this; you literally just toss everything into a bowl and beat it up until smooth...

Coffee Cake

And then pour it into your pan and bake!

Coffee Cake

Bring it out of the oven all golden and brown and warm and smelling -delicious- and let it cool.
Meanwhile whip up your honey icing!

Coffee Cake

Then decorate your cake!

Coffee Cake

YUM!
I highly recommend having a slice of this for afternoon tea.
With a cup of coffee, of course!

Coffee Cake

Recipe for Honey-Iced Coffee Cake

Ingredients for cake:
3 teaspoons dry instant coffee
1 tablespoon hot water
125g room temperature butter
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
3/4 cup of firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup self-raising flour
1/4 cup custard powder
1/3 cup milk

Ingredients for honey icing:
1 teaspoon dry instant coffee
1 tablespoon hot water
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup icing sugar (approximately)

Grease a 20cm pan and line with baking paper. Heat oven to moderate (roughly 180 degrees C).

Dissolve coffee in water, combine in large bowl with butter, vanilla essence, sugar, eggs, sifted flour and custard powder and milk. Beat on low speed with electric mixer until ingredients are combined; then speed up to medium for about 3 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and had changed into a lighter colour.

Pour mixture into pan and bake for about 40 minutes.

Let stand until cool on a wire rack.

Meanwhile, Melt butter in saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in combined coffee and water, honey, vanilla essence and half of the sifted icing sugar. Whisking constantly, gradually add in the rest of the sifted sugar until it is at a spreadable consistency.

Ice your cake!
Decorate!
ENJOY!

Colour + Colour Week 9: Green and Tan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to be able to find good info from your content.


My webpage: pure green coffee

Malou said...

I have been making this particular cake since the 1980s. From the same book "Cakes and Slices" It is one of the best coffee cakes I have ever made. Interesting that you should like it so much... good onya! Try the Moist Treacle Gingerbread - it's truly scrumptious. All the best for now cheers

Ros Mayes said...

Thank you for this recipe. My friend has been searching for it for gaes. She will be so happy. Do you also have the Poppy Seed cake from the same book..maybe a quick mix one too, with lemon icing perhaps?